Why Is My AC Making A Loud Noise?
When your AC unit isn’t working right, it might make some odd noises to indicate there’s something wrong. It’s best to listen to your AC unit and note any strange sounds it’s making. Some common sounds that might indicate there’s a problem include:
- Banging: A banging noise coming from your air conditioner indicates a problem with the compressor. This component is designed to distribute refrigerant throughout your HVAC system to remove excess heat. It’s not unusual for components to come loose inside the compressor as your central air conditioning system nears the end of its lifespan.
- Screeching: Most often, an air conditioner’s screeching noise is caused by a faulty fan motor in the outdoor condenser unit. Your home’s central air conditioning system includes a fan to remove heat from the refrigerant. This indicates a problem with the fan motor if your air conditioner is making a shrieking sound. A damaged compressor may also be responsible for this noise.
- Humming: A malfunctioning contactor relay switch could be causing a humming sound inside your air conditioner. When the outdoor condenser unit receives a signal from your thermostat, this component is designed to turn it on. Unfortunately, you will not be able to turn on your air conditioner until an expert addresses this problem.
- Rattling: This is often caused by leaves or other debris getting caught in the outdoor condenser unit. It’s important to keep the area around your air conditioner clear to function properly. If you hear rattling coming from your unit, it’s best to shut it off and remove any debris that may be causing the problem. If that isn’t the cause, it may be because of a damaged electrical contractor in your system.
- Clanking: A clanking noise coming from your air conditioner often indicates a loose part. It’s essential to have an HVAC technician look at your unit as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
If you hear any of these noises coming from your AC unit, it’s important to contact a professional right away to have the unit inspected and repaired. Ignoring these sounds can lead to further damage and potentially costly repairs. Contact Accurately Controlled Environments to schedule a service appointment in West Berlin, NJ, and surrounding areas today!